Saturday, April 11, 2009

History Lesson... with visual aids!

You’re in luck! I was certain that when my computer died about a month ago it had taken the following pictures with it. But wonders upon wonders, I hadn’t deleted them off of my camera’s CF card and so, here is the blog post that might never have been:

My hometown of Warwick, NY isn’t far from another, even smaller town, Florida, NY.


While it lacks palm trees and beaches you may know Florida, NY as the birthplace of William H. Seward, Secretary of State under Lincoln and Johnson. He nearly shared Lincoln’s fate that infamous night, in fact.


Sadly, the town either doesn’t have the funding or the inclination to actually preserve this piece of history outside of not bulldozing the building to the ground and putting up a few plaques and ‘No Trespassing’ signs.


How many people skip over this piece of history to grab a slice?


Ignoring the well-posted 'No Trespassing' signs, I snooped as best I could in the mud and cold. Outside the barn, I found an ancient outhouse and loads of junk pouring out from the inside.


Magnetic tape and film!


Children’s books!


Bones!


I couldn’t get inside to some of the larger rooms due to the fact that they were filled with so much junk the doors wouldn’t open more then a few inches.


Luckily, some of the windows had been smashed in. What did I find?


Old taxidermy (always neat).


Creepy old operating tables… I think…?


A coffin?!?

Then again, you may be familiar with Florida, NY as the hometown of Jimmy Sturr, the Polka King.

No comments: